Last Monday us bideshis (foreigners) got to experience a Nepali bandh. A
bandh is a protest, usually political, that shuts down the entire city. Like most things related to Nepali politics I didn't really understand what it was for, but basically an important politician was killed while he was in jail and the political party he was associated with issued the bandh.
When I say that the entire city shut down, I mean the ENTIRE city. The first thing I noticed was that when I woke up and looked at my watch, it said 9:30am. I haven't slept past 8am since I landed here in October. Then I realized that the reason it was so late was because it was dead quiet. I went onto the roof and looked out on the street which was completely empty of cars and trucks. Instead there were hundreds of people just walking around doing nothing. All of the stores were closed and kids were playing soccer in the street.
 |
| On a regular day there is a busy street market set up here |
Just so you can imagine what the noise is usually like- picture NYC traffic with all of the taxis and horns honking constantly. Then remove all of the traffic lanes, traffic lights, traffic police, and noise control fines. Add trucks with the loudest horns you have ever heard and motorcyclists that honk every second of the day and try to run you over. That's Nepali traffic and that's why I got to sleep past 8am on Monday. Anyway, I spent the day at the big house using the internet to book my flight home (March 9!!) and walked around the city hoping to see a burning car or something else exciting (didn't happen)
Over the weekend I went to a part of Kathmandu called Bouda which is home to one of the most sacred
Buddhist Stupas. It was very relaxing and peaceful. The site kind of reminded me of the Kotel- there were hundreds of people circling the stupa, praying, writing notes to hang on prayer flags, and of course a lot of touristy stores.We had a great lunch at a cafe overlooking the stupa and may have eaten one too many desserts but it was worth it :)
 |
| The top of the stupa- each golden level represents a different element of life |
 |
| The gold paint represents the lotus flower- they paint it on everyday. people can pay to pour paint into a bucket and it is as if they are painting it themselves |
 |
| Me, Milca, and Sophie |

Chanukah here was fun- it was very different not being surrounded by Christmas everywhere I turned. We lit the Menorah every night and made Latkes for a small Chanukah party. The most memorable moment was when a man wished us a Merry Christmas at a store and we then had a 15 minute conversation about how not all white people worship Jesus. We left it at "I'm a not a Christian, I am a Jew, just like you're not a Christian, you're a Hindu" to which he replied "Jesus was a Jew".
As opposed to last week, this week has been packed. The youth meetings will be starting again in January and I am currently planning a journalism workshop, a photography workshop, a facilitators training seminar, and a theater exhibition (along with Stav and Aatmaram). I'll write more about everything once the events happen. Its been great having something to work on again even if it is a lot, but when do I ever not over commit myself?
I see a chabad menorah!! haha glad it made it out to Nepal!
ReplyDelete