Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Family 2

*I just realized that I am posting this entry about family exactly 2 months after my Savta Miriam passed away. Today also would have been her 92nd birthday. At ASYV family is the most important thing and I am constantly thinking about my grandma and how she made our family stronger. She would have loved to see this village and I can only imagine how proud she would have been*

When the new students arrived at ASYV 3 weeks ago, they were assigned to a family of 16 students. For many of them, this is the first time they are able to call someone Mom, Brother, Sister or Cousin. During the 4 years they spend at ASYV this group of people truly become a family. The Mama’s discipline, teach, love, respect, and make sure that their children get what they need. The Big Brother or Big Sister assigned to each family act as counselors and role models. He or she quickly becomes a cool, young Rwandan for the students to look up to. As a cousin, my role is to bring the world to my family and to broaden their understanding of the opportunities available to them. Even more importantly, my job is to get them to speak English as much as possible. With a strong English background, these students will be able to learn the professional skills they need to get a job or apply to colleges around the world. The students bring this drive and ambition back to their villages in Rwanda and can truly inspire others. 

First day as a family

In the few short weeks I have been here, I can already say that this place works. ASYV is able to provide a home for these students who so desperately need someone to call family. The girls in my family who I only recently met put a smile on my face every time I see them. The ones who were so shy are now translating for me. Every night we have Family Time when the family staff leads an activity for the girls. When the Mama leads it is usually to discuss hygiene, cleanliness, time management, or manners. When Ali (my roommate and co-cousin) and I lead family time we typically start with a game and then discuss things like communication, trust, and values.

The lovely ladies of Family 2!

When I started writing this entry 2 weeks ago, all of my time was devoted to the family. But this past week has been very hectic as I officially started my job as International Coordinator and Guest House Manager.  About 10 VIP’s from New York came to ASYV for graduation and do some consulting work. These VIPs included the founder for the village, several board members, and Liquidnet employees (the company that funds the school). I basically went from spending every waking minute with my family to spending every waking minute preparing and working with the New York group. It was challenging and demanding but it felt good to have so much responsibility.

Some other random things that happened this week:
·      I had lied when I left Nepal when I said that I would never take a bucket shower ever again…..
·      Went to my first Village Time- an event for the whole school where students to show off their talents in dancing, singing, and anything else they can do. These students are AMAZING
·      Mucacka Mucacka- literally means “run run!”. Every Saturday morning all of the students and staff wake up to run out of the village. This past weekend we went about 2 miles. My strategy is to find a slow kid and stick with them the whole time- its been working pretty well! Side note- I'm wearing sneakers and the kids wear flip flops…..
·      Set up Facebook accounts for my girls. Now they won’t get off the computer
·      I fall at least 2 times a day because I never look where I’m going and everyone makes fun of me
·      Camp would love this- I am the official volleyball coach. But unlike at camp, here I have to run 5am practices on Mondays and Wednesdays. Not cool
·      The kitchen loves me- they call me the girl who can’t eat anything which means when I go to visit they give me pineapple and cheese
·      Happy celiac-aversary to me!






teaching the girls how to use a camera



First day ice breakers

Moses!

Me, Sam & Ali in our Mushanana's





Dorcas, Me & Paci











Me and my Big Sister Mable










No comments:

Post a Comment